Mercury Tracer Overheated Greenville NC

My 1993 Mercury Tracer overheated. After allowing it to cool down, I started the car and went home. The following morning my car wouldn't start. However, after trying to start it I could hear a bubbling noise under the hood. When I checked this, I found the noise coming from the radiator reservoir.

East Carolina Lincoln - Mercury
(252) 355-3333
605 Greenville Boulevard
Greenville, NC
 
Asheboro Ford Lincoln Mercury
(336) 629-3194
1602 East Dixie Dr.
Asheboro, NC
 
Leith Lincoln - Mercury
(919) 872-9500
4809 Capital Blvd.
Raleigh, NC
 
Joe Alcoke Lincoln Mercury
(252) 638-6161
3405 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blv
New Bern, NC
 
Advantage Ford Lincoln Mercury
(252) 492-5011
1675 Dabney Drive
Henderson, NC
 
Capital Lincoln Mercury of Cary
(919) 859-2000
525 Crossroads Blvd.
Cary, NC
 
Classic Ford Lincoln Mercury
(919) 934-6500
1698 Booker Dairy Road
Smithfield, NC
 
Mooresville Ford Mercury, Inc
(704) 664-1300
151 East Plaza Dr.
Mooresville, NC
 
Hilbish Motor Co
(704) 938-3121
2600 S Cannon Blvd.
Kannapolis, NC
 
Beachum And Lee Ford, Inc.
(704) 694-4101
Highway 74 West
Wadesboro, NC
 

Mercury Tracer Overheated

Provided by:

Reader Questions Hello Austin,

Let me say first, I really enjoy your website and have learned valuable information from it in the past. Thank you. Now, I need some help.

My 1993 Mercury Tracer overheated. After allowing it to cool down, I started the car and went home. The following morning my car wouldn't start. However, after trying to start it I could hear a bubbling noise under the hood. When I checked this, I found the noise coming from the radiator reservoir.

I called and explained this to my mechanic, who tells me the head gasket is blown. So, I accessed your site and found where 'Melissa with the 1988 Ford Bronco II' wrote to you. You suggested that she start her vehicle and let it run and to look for coolant shooting from the radiator neck.

I have tried this, but my car will not run, however coolant does shoot from the radiator neck when I try to start it. Does this mean the head gasket is blown???

Please help. I am 43 and female and have always done my own work, (simple things), and want to know if this could really be the problem or if it is something less involved.

Thank you so much in advance,

Ramona

Hi there,

You are a 43 year old female who does her own repairs…..wowow…..I’m impressed.

You said this

“My 1993 Mercury Tracer overheated. After allowing it to cool down, I started the car and went home”

So it overheated, but you let it cool down, THEN it started and you drove home. So if it started THEN, and DID NOT overheat on your way home, why does it not start now?

When you say does not start, do you mean the engine turns over, but it sill not ignite and start…..right?

To read the full article, visit Myhonestmechanic.com